Here are a few important trip essentials to help you plan your trip.
- Total number of islands: 14
- Area: 184 sq. mi./477 sq. km
- Climate: 77-92F/25-22C
- Languages: The official languages are English, Chamorro, and Carolinian, but Japanese and Korean languages are also spoken at most tourist-oriented businesses.
- Government: Commonwealth of the United States of American
- Time Zone: GMT+10
- Currency: The official currency is the U.S. Dollar. There are several U.S. banks and foreign currency exchanges. Most major credit cards and travelers checks are welcomed at most visitor-oriented businesses.
- Postal Services: U.S. Postal Service
- Electricity and voltage: 110/220v 60Hz
- Helpful numbers: Emergency 911, Phone directory information 411
- Business hours: Government offices and organizations, weekdays 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., closed on weekends and national holidays
- Visa Requirements: Entry requirements for the U.S. Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) are the same as for any U.S. destination. The U.S. Visa Waiver Program applies. For further details, visit www.travel.state.gov. In addition, a special Guam-CNMI Visa Waiver Program allows visa-free entry from additional countries: Australia, Brunei, Hong Kong (HK Special Administrative Region [SAR] passport or HK Identification card is required), Japan, Malaysia, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, United Kingdom. Under the Guam-CNMI Visa Waiver Program, travelers from these countries, for a maximum of 45 days, seeking admission to the CNMI must possess a valid, unexpired machine-readablepassport and must not have previously violated the terms of any prior admission to the U.S. ESTA is not a requirement for these travelers.
- Transportation: International flights are provided by Asiana Airlines, Delta Air Lines, and Jeju Airlines. Domestic commuters are run by United Airlines Connections and STAR Marianas Air. For car rental, a U.S. driver's license can be used; foreign visitors can use their home country licenses for up to 1 month. Shuttle buses are available from most hotels and T Galleria in Garapan. Taxis are available, and many hotels offer airport pick-up and drop-off.
- Safety Tips: Enjoy your trip safely by following these safety tips.